Text Search Advanced Help
Click the "BACK" button on your browser to return to the page you came
Use the text search engine to search documents in the web containing specific
words or combinations of words. The text search engine will display a list of matching documents,
with more current matches shown first. Each list item is a
link to a matching document; if the document has a title it will be shown,
otherwise only the document's file name is displayed. A brief explanation of the
query language is shown below, along with examples.
The text search engine allows queries to be formed from arbitrary Boolean
expressions containing the keywords AND, OR, and NOT, and grouped with
parentheses. For example:
- information retrieval
- finds documents containing 'information' or 'retrieval'
- information or retrieval
- same as above
- information and retrieval
- finds documents containing both 'information' and 'retrieval'
- information and not retrieval
- finds documents containing 'information' but not 'retrieval'
- (information and not retrieval) and WAIS
- finds documents containing 'WAIS', plus 'information' but not
- finds documents containing words starting with